What a mess. Stress levels are through the roof, much like case numbers and with each passing hour we seem less sure of what will happen.
Welcome to trip planning pandemic style.
There are those who might say, why are you attempting to travel in a pandemic. I have some sympathy with that view, however, the rest of time will contain COVID so if not now, when? I guess after Omicron has run its course? See how I can argue with myself endlessly?
If I had tried to choose travel dates that would lead to the ultimate stress and confusion levels, I could not have done much better. It seems our dates will be right in the eye of this storm and there is no way to begin to predict what might be the situation. In the coming weeks perhaps the UK may be seeing a tailing off of Omicron cases, but the US is a little behind us and could be right at the peak. Having said that, the US may be just as bad as us right now and is just doing less testing. Who the hell knows.
Whilst much of my brain naturally gravitates to the worst case scenario, which is me fighting for refunds for the next three months or so, and staring down the barrel of no WDW trip until well into 2023, there is some small part of me which is mildly optimistic. This part of my brain ordered my “new trainers for the holiday” this week. Once again they are not the bright white abominations of years gone by. These days I am all about the blue Skechers. Very comfy.
Just to add a little spice to the mix last week, on Tuesday, Tom tested positive, initially on lateral flow and later confirmed by PCR. Rebecca and Freddie have spent the week sleeping on a blow up bed away from Tom and so far, their daily testing has come up negative. It’s weird.
So what on earth is our plan? Good question.
We’ve decided to limit all interaction over Christmas once we get past Christmas Day. We have cancelled a panto on the 27th, all of Mustard’s gigs leading up to Christmas were cancelled and we will pretty much only be seeing those who are travelling plus our triple jabbed parents in the ten days up to departure.
We are and will be testing very regularly and I think the main risk to us being able to go will be one of us testing positive within those ten days before we go. That is very stressful. Even by doing no mixing beyond Christmas Day there is still a chance one of use tests positive in the few days after that of course. Tom should be OK now as he’s been through it but I cannot tell you how stressed I am about one of us getting it before we go.
At some point, and I think that will be next week, we need to go ahead and order the remaining tests we don’t yet have booked, specifically the return to the UK ones. They can take a few days to arrive and with the festive break that’s as late as I want to leave it. I’m also going to buy some extra travel insurance to protect us against not being able to travel due to infection/isolation and if any of us test positive over there and need to stay for the ten days isolation. For our PCR tests once back in the UK , we can order them whilst we are in the US as we only need that order reference for our passenger locator form 48 hours before flying home. Things may change before we fly back as that is over four weeks away yet. They could be back to lateral flow or we could of course be required to quarantine for ten days depending on how things play out.
With all of this in mind, of course, the easy option would be to not go at all. But then, refunds become more challenging as there is technically nothing stopping us going, so that would be a battle and we would no doubt lose very large chunks of cash. It’s going to be a very nervy few weeks for sure. This is adding to what is already a stressful period of life and there is no perfect or anything close to perfect solution right now. We just have to wait.
I honestly don’t think there will be a closure of borders by the US. I don’t know of course, but it seems pointless. France and Germany seem to be restricting travel for UK visitors, but I think there are other things at play there. France may well be political and Germany has had a horrendous time with Delta which is just subsiding, so with Omicron just about to hit them they are doing all they can I guess. Border closures seem futile. Omicron is already everywhere and if arrivals are tested and vaccinated they pose no greater risk than anyone already in that country. The big risk and fear for us is a positive test amongst our group on or after Christmas Day. Have I mentioned that I am stressed about this?
Trying to predict what may happen is becoming my main hobby and I simultaneously read articles that tell me Omicron is more mild and hospitals will be fine, and South Africa is now seeing case numbers fall away again, and other ones which tell me Omicron is at least as severe as Delta and we should already be in full lockdown.
I think it is inevitable that further restrictions will come to the UK. I suspect had they not pissed away all their credibility by having an endless series of parties last Christmas we would be in tighter restrictions now. I don’t think anything the UK government does can stop us flying to the US. That is the prerogative of Biden. Again I am guessing.
I did think yesterday just how nice it would be to just be able to count down to this trip, certain that we would be going. How we all took that concept for granted.
Fifteen days to go. None of us can get excited, it does not feel like we are going and maybe that will be the outcome. Only uncertainty remains certain and you all know how well I deal with that.
If you are in a pre-trip position like us, you have all our sympathies. I know this is just a bloody holiday and people are losing their lives and livelihoods. We are fortunate in many, many ways of course, but I can only talk about my own experiences really and this is what they are. A frustrating mess. The worst bit I think is that there isn’t even a deadline beyond which I feel confident saying we will be going. We could be in this tense limbo until departure. What a fun couple of weeks this will be.
Till the next time…….
7 thoughts on “Incoherent Ramblings About The Unknown”
Welcome to the brave new world I guess, I agree that Covid will join the long list of things that we need to deal with as part of our lives and I think that even with a much smaller %age of the afflicted resulting in hospitalisations just the sheer speed of the O strain would cause a significant blip. If only the NHS hadn’t been starved of funds who knows what would have happened. Fingers crossed you get there safely and that the food once you are there is as amazing as it has always been, that should make up for the stress.
I hope things go well for you, I am already wishing we were one of the brave ones who flew in November. I will look forward to seeing your airport photos in the hope that ours will follow in April. All the very best for a covid free few weeks.
Three weeks today we will be up in the sky and then and only then will I be able to feel excited!
The more I read on the Dibb about people have holidayed and had no problems the more confident I feel, but until WE are on the plane I will still have doubts.
One thing that is really annoying me is reading reports about Universal. Universal seem to be carrying on as though nothing is happening. People are saying how good it is that they don’t have to wear masks! Just because Universal are not enforcing masks doesn’t mean to say you shouldn’t be wearing them!!!
I will keep my fingers firmly crossed for you/us. You/we need the holiday.
Merry Christmas and stay safe x
Keeping everything crossed that you get to go, however having just been freed from covid I was told on Friday by track and trace not to pcr test for 90 days unless I developed new symptoms which I never had any traditional symptoms this time round I tested to go to work on a lft and it was positive anyway the reason they say 90 days is you can get a positive on pcr but the virus is dead but your positive still. I’ve not had one so don’t know if it is the case but my lft’s are negative now x
I really am praying you all test negative and can go. We have our own mini stress as we have to test negative to go home to visit family in Ireland. With my son still having to go to school next week its a tense period. Fingers and toes crossed for you Craig.
And for you. 🤞👍